equipment: Glass baking dish , Large bowl , Large stovetop pan , Oven , Vitamix
To die for! This recipe uses a LCHF cashew cream for the sauce and spaghetti squash in place of pasta. Easy to make it vegan if desired (just replace butter with a vegan fat); and for meat-eaters it goes great with a rack of lamb, just sayin’.
- Or 2 small/med squashes
- For cooking squash
- Or use a handful of fresh leaves
Cashew-Avocado Cream Ingredients
- Or whole lemon for a more citrusy tang
- Raw only!
- Can replace with cashews
- Or 1-2 Tbsp of dried basil
Spaghetti and Veggies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Halve and de-seed the squash (raw). Smear coconut oil on a baking dish. Place squash halves on the baking dish, flesh side down.
- Tip: if your baking dish has edges, add a little splash of water enough to cover the bottom to make the squash more tender).
- Bake at 350 for about an hour or until soft. Let cool. Remove flesh with fork.
- Chop mushrooms, leeks, and shallot. Heat a medium skillet on the stove, add butter or olive oil and sauté veggies. Season with salt, pepper; plus optional sage and garlic. Set aside.
- In high-powered blender, add the avocado, lemon juice, cashews, pine nuts (if using), water, basil and a little salt and pepper.
- Blend until a thick, creamy, fluffy sauce forms.
- Start with less water and add more as needed for desired consistency–it should be creamy and fluffy; not too thick of a paste.
- You can add more cashews, etc, to nail the taste how you like it!
In large serving bowl, combine squash, mushroom mix, most of the cashew cream, and the remainder of the basil and pine nuts. Stir, serve and enjoy!
The leftover cashew cream can be stored in fridge for a week!